Thursday, November 19, 2009

Taking a Walk with a Notebook in Hand

Go to the nearest stationery store. Buy a small, spiral bound notebook with lined pages. Walk to and from the store if you can.

On the way back (or later), closely observe two locations. You might choose a place you like and another that you dislike. Take a good look. Slow down and notice things: maybe that fence needs painting. Or the 30 meter fir tree swaying in the wind. Whatever you see . . .

Write your impressions immediately into your notebook. If you have a digital camera, take a picture of the scene to aid your memory.

Write a brief report on your experience. What did you find? Did you notice anything new? Do you have any ideas you could use in your writing?

2 comments:

Kay said...

On my way to purchase notebook: I noted how very dirty the streets are in the rental apt. area below 8th.ave and 6th. street,sidewalk and boulvarde area disgusting .
Public seem to misuse non/ownership
rental communities
As a young person after the war I
assumed prosperity would allow all
things to progress : streets would be cleaner people smarter and kinder, protection and care provided for citizens. It may have
gone that way for some but not for
all . what seem to prevail is a dog eat dog attutude ..




























Dollar Store :

Purchased note pad , no wonder there is no unemployement in china.
How can they manufacture all this
stuff so cheaply? We complain about human rights and underpaid labor in china , but here we are the hungry consumer . There should
be a happy medium between union wage and slave labor. So what do I
do about this , what else I purchase my notebook and leave.

Brad said...

On my way home after a shop on Main Street, I noted the small white bungalow on the corner. I pass by most days, but today I stopped to notice a few details.

One of the windows has a poorly fitted weatherstrip that bulges out in the middle. The siding is vinyl and, above the garden, there is a water mark from the wet leaves touching it. Above me, I notice a sturdy wood frame for a wisteria. The plant itself still has a few leaves clinging, but most are gone. The ones that remain are yellow or brown and will soon be gone.